Sunday, February 3, 2013

... Some Manga Suggestions


So, recently, I decided to start reading manga again and in the process I re-read some of my all-time favorites. But, I have to say, I am not the biggest fan of manga. I think they are beautifully written but I always tend to prefer anime. However, here are two exceptions to the rule and even though I cannot wait to see them in their anime versions, I feel that one should also read the manga as well.

Nora:




Nora’s story takes place in two dimensions: the demon world and the human world, and  the characters as well as the attention that has been given to their development is exceptionally good. Nora is a demon; basically a more reckless version of Cerberus, the dog watcher of the underworld. He is an untamed teenage-looking boy (who by the way, does turn into Cerberus when he reaches his boiling point) who eventually pisses off Satan and she (a very voluptuous and feisty “she”) banishes him to earth so he can learn from the nobler and humble human race. 

She trusts his training and protection to a human boy, a genius named Kazuma, who is incidentally looking for something interesting in his boring life. Kazuma is also entrusted with a seal that can allow Nora to unleash his Cerberus form. There are other demons under Satan’s command that try to help Kazuma and Nora along their journey of becoming friends and learning from each other, as unknown evil forces seek to force their way to the world of humans and take over. 

The true gold in this manga lies in the characters. Satan has to be the funniest Dark Queen there has ever been and her cuteness along with the fact that she IS the mother of all evil creates one of the most unique Satan characters ever. Also, there is a great chemistry developed between the two main characters: Nora and Kazuma. Nora is more explosive, accident-prone but with true brute power and so he faces a real struggle when being controlled by someone like Kazuma who seems like he has the world figured out. However, Satan in all her evil wisdom has recognized that each of them needs what the other has: Nora needs to learn discipline while Kazuma needs to learn how to let loose once in a while. And they both need a friend.

This manga encapsulates all the things that are truly important in life: balance, friendship, family, loyalty, happiness and a sense of home and all of these concepts are explored throughout the nine volumes of this manga. And I must say that it’s the first time I cried while reading a comic book :P


I can’t sleep alone




Moving on to a completely different genre, “I can’t sleep alone” is a series of short one-piece stories that involve different people and circumstances.  It is essentially a collection of stories written by eight popular shoujo horror manga artists. Even though shoujo manga is mostly marketed towards women (shoujo can be translated as girl in Japanese), don't make the mistake of discarding this collection if you don't belong in it's target audience. What’s fascinating about these short stories is that they all, one way or another, convey a very deep message hidden in the scary scenarios of the manga.  I found the depiction of the characters as well as the talent with which the authors pass on their message to be very insightful. 


The titles of these stories are as follows:


Welcome to the world of the picture book

I want you close

I see a hen

Forest of Memory

The Show-off ghost

S.O.S Message

Me inside the Mirror

Doll shop

 





My two favorites were Me inside the Mirror and the Doll shop, but the other stories were very well written as well. The thing that captivates me the most about “I can’t sleep alone” is what I essentially appreciate most from manga and anime related Japanese art: everyday problems, concerns and issues are talked about through the use of what can basically be described as cartoons, which in my opinion makes them all the more realistic. 





 Just think about Hayao Miyazaki’s films and the message and character development that comes through his films. The same idea is effectively used in “I can’t sleep alone” making it one of my top manga suggestion.

Hope you enjoy!!! 

*S

No comments:

Post a Comment