Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Traveler's Guide to Ireland - Part 2


Heading West:

(You’re in Western Ireland now, so exchange whatever money you have – your own currency or left over British pounds from Belfast – into Euro)

My friend’s place was in Galway, so we headed back west, passed through Belfast and arrived in Galway. Galway is known as a cultural center in Ireland and there are numerous festivals taking place throughout the year. Depending on what time of the year you visit, you can attend all sorts of fun events. It’s also one of the few places in Ireland where they still speak Irish Gaelic. Also, there is a difference between Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic – the locals who still speak one or the other, just call it Gaelic.

There are museums and theaters to visit and you should but once you’re done with that, head towards the port and find where Cupan Tae is. The title has a squiggly line over the A and it’s pronounced as if you’re saying “Cup and Tea” really fast.

This place has the most awesome tea flavors from all over the world and you can also buy them in bulk. It’s also a nice place for lunch or breakfast because they have sandwiches and the like. Overall, I visited this place every single day I was in Galway and it’s one of my loveliest memories (probably cuz I love good food as much as I like to travel).


Once you’ve had enough tea for one day, take a walk towards the docks and the beach. There are swans swimming nearby which was a first for me, and then… there’s the beach. I don’t know what it is with the beaches in Ireland, but every time I came near one in that country I felt as if I was walking into a dream land. Again… pictures are worth a thousand words.
The River that runs through the city of Galway


Look, a swan (^___^)










My Birthday at the edge of the World – Cliffs of Moher

I was fortunate enough to have two things coinciding with my trip to Ireland. One, my birthday fell in the middle of my visit and two, I got to experience Saint Patrick’s day in Ireland. It’s the same with Guinness; you might hate it while you’re anywhere else but once you try it in Ireland, it makes all the sense in the world. I didn’t hate Saint Patrick’s Day before I went to the Emerald Isle, but I can safely say that I had the proper experience of this celebration in the right place.


So, my birthday is on March 13th and my (awesome) friend was kind enough to give me a day trip as a birthday present. We joined a tour group leaving Galway and heading southwest – the final destination being the Cliffs of Moher. I unfortunately don’t remember the name of our tour guide but he is easily the funniest person in (at least) Ireland. His tour started with visits to old castles and lakes, and also a fairy’s circle, which consists of a circle formed by trees where it is believed that fairies come at night to discuss the problems that you have mentally left there for them to examine. It’s a very nice spiritual gesture to participate in, even if you don’t believe in that kind of stuff.



The castles we saw were tied to important historical events and even included the stories of some very brave Irish women (yay girl power). In between castles and lakes and old tombs, we were also informed that our tour guide is happily married but would love to get rid of his mother in law, that we could all participate if we felt like it and that all real Irish men always sleep with one eye open because of their feisty Irish wives. He also told us about a festival that takes place in a village that we passed by: all the single girls can find a husband on that day because there’s a matchmaking ceremony going on. So there’s a guy out there for everyone – or, as the tour guide put it, “an old fart with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel”.




This is an old Irish tomb that we visited during our tour. The cracks on the rocks surrounding it (that are now filled with grass) have been caused by the constant rainfalls in Ireland!!!







As mentioned before, our final destination was the Cliffs of Moher. And this is literally what the edge of the world must look like. The world’s not round, it ends at the Cliffs of Moher and you can certainly verify that when you’re standing on the edge of one of the cliffs, the wind blowing, and the sea waayyyy beneath you. It’s a “if you’re afraid of heights, don’t look down” situation, but totally worth it. You can walk along each cliff as the mountain they’re on goes higher and higher and when you do reach the last one, take a look behind you: you’ll find yourself between air, water and grass and nothing but open land and sea for miles.

So here are some pictures from the Cliffs of Moher!!!












P.s There’s a fence made of rock and wood that’s supposed to let you know how close you can get to the cliffs without falling. I would stick near that fence – even if I totally didn’t on that day and got some pretty amazing shots to prove it. Yes, it was a good birthday.




When you get back to Galway and just in time for Saint Patrick’s Day, have a drink at any of the local pubs that has live music. You’ll listen to some nice Irish folk songs in Irish Gaelic or in English from local mucisians that might also be students at the University in Galway and you’re totally welcomed to sing along :)

(End of part 2)

*S

No comments:

Post a Comment